Chemical exfoliation is a skincare trend that is here to stay! Unlike physical exfoliators that scrub off dead skin and impurities from the face, chemical exfoliators dissolve and remove them. Thus, they reduce dullness, pigmentation, clogged pores, and texture. Chemical exfoliation for beginners is recommended over physical scrubs, because chemical exfoliants are gentler, provided you choose the right product! How to do chemical exfoliation as a beginner? Which chemical exfoliators are the best for beginners? This post has all the answers for you! So, if you have been wondering what are the top beginner-friendly chemical exfoliators in India, do keep on reading!
How To Use Chemical Exfoliators As A Beginner? – Tips & Tricks
If you are new to the world of chemical exfoliants, here are some basic tips and tricks that you must remember –
- Always patch test before using a new chemical exfoliator.
- Do not layer two exfoliating products together.
- Wash-off products are gentler, so use cleansers with exfoliants before moving to serums or peels with exfoliating acids.
- Start with products that have gentler acids and lower concentration of exfoliants, then work your way up, if needed.
- Among AHAs, the general order of strength from mildest to strongest is PHA (Polyhydroxyacid) < Mandelic Acid < Lactic Acid < Glycolic Acid . The milder acids have a larger molecular size, which means that they penetrate the skin to a lesser extent, making them gentler.
- For acne-prone skin, a small concentration of Salicylic Acid (popularly known as BHA) is also recommended as it dissolves excess oil. Look for less than 1% Salicylic Acid as a beginner.
- Avoid over-exfoliating! Use peels no more than once a week, serums no more than 2-3 times a week. Gentler exfoliating cleansers can be used once daily if they do not irritate your skin.
- Follow up exfoliators with a gentle and soothing moisturizer.
- Use chemical exfoliators at night and don’t forget sunscreen the next morning!
PSA – All the products on this list are fragrance-free!
Top 5 Chemical Exfoliators In India For Beginners
1. Best Exfoliating Cleansers In India
A cleanser with exfoliating acids is the best chemical exfoliant for beginners. There is minimal risk of sensitizing your skin because you wash off the product within a minute. Hence, the acids get some time to exfoliate your skin but not enough time to lead to over-exfoliation. My favourite exfoliating cleansers for beginners are the Suganda Hydrating Oat Cleanser for dry to normal skin and the Deconstruct Oil Control Face Wash for oily, acne-prone skin. The Suganda cleanser contains 4% PHA (mildest exfoliating acid) with soothing colloidal oats, calendula and panthenol in the form of a creamy, non-foaming face wash. It leaves the skin hydrated, calm, and bright. The Deconstruct Oil Control Face Wash contains 0.5% Salicylic Acid with 1% Niacinamide in a runny, mildly foaming formula. It brightens the skin and removes excess grease without stripping the skin dry.
Price – Suganda Hydrating Oat Cleanser – INR 700 for 120 ml + 10% off with coupon code MRI (click here to shop)
Deconstruct Oil Control Face Wash – INR 299 for 100ml (click here to shop)
2. Deconstruct Beginner’s Exfoliating Serum
Mild AHA serums are another beginner-friendly option for chemical exfoliation. Deconstruct Beginner’s Exfoliating Serum is one of the mildest chemical exfoliators in India. It contains 5% Lactic Acid along with 1.5% Probiotics. Hence, it offers gentle exfoliation and barrier strengthening benefits in one go. The product is slightly more viscous than water. It feels soothing on the skin and is non-sticky and non-greasy. Use a couple of drops on clean, dry skin at night and follow up with a calming moisturizer. With consistent use, this serum will brighten your skin and make it more supple.
Price – INR 699 for 30ml but usually on discount (click here to shop)
3. Suganda Mandelic Acid Serum
The Suganda Mandelic Acid Serum is a blend of chemical exfoliators like 5% Mandelic Acid, 0.5% Salicylic Acid, and 2% PHA along with soothing Centella. This serum has a brown tint and a green tea scent from its natural ingredients. It is slightly thicker than water and has a moderately sticky consistency. It feels gentle and hydrating on the skin. Apply a few drops at night on clean, dry skin and top up with a moisturizer. With consistent use, it reduces dullness and unclogs the pores. Because of Salicylic Acid, this one might be a good option for oily skin, as long as you can make peace with the slight stickiness.
Price – INR 599 for 30ml + Extra 10% off with coupon code MRI (click here to shop)
4. Dr. Sheth’s Mulberry And Mandelic Acid Peel
Dr. Sheth’s Mulberry And Mandelic Acid Peel is the most beginner-friendly chemical exfoliant from the brand. This product contains 10% Mandelic Acid, 2% Niacinamide, 1% Hyaluronic Acid, along with brightening mulberry and papaya extracts. It has a thicker consistency than the last two serums, almost like a runny gel, but it feels light-weight on the skin despite being slightly sticky. You can use it as a 5 minute wash off mask or as an overnight serum. It feels soothing and hydrating on the skin and helps to brighten it with regular use. I can see it working well across skin types.
Price – INR 449 for 30ml + Extra 20% off with coupon code MRINALINI (click here to buy)
5. Pure Bubbles Overnight Resurfacing Serum
Pure Bubbles Overnight Resurfacing Serum is an excellent chemical exfoliator for oily skin. It contains Glycolic Acid and Lactic Acid with Potassium Azeloyl Diglycinate (PAD), which is an Azelaic Acid derivative. The serum has a watery consistency and a milky hue. It feels extremely light-weight on the skin, just like water, and has a calming effect. Just like the other chemical exfoliators, you need to apply a few drops of the serum on clean and dry skin at night, before moisturizer. This serum gives a radiant and refined look to the skin because of the AHAs in the formula. Plus, due to PAD, it can also help with acne and redness. Hence it is a good chemical exfoliator for acne-prone skin, although all skin types can benefit from it.
Price – INR 1099 for 30ml (currently on a great discount though) (click here to buy)
To Recap –
Pin It – Best Chemical Exfoliators In India
I hope that this list of best chemical exfoliators in India for beginners was helpful for you. Most of these products will work for all skin types, but I have mentioned their quirks and USPs to help you choose the best one. So, which of these chemical exfoliants will you try next? Let me know in the comments!
*coupon codes are affiliate