Holi, the Indian festival of colors, is round the corner and if you are planning to partake in the celebrations then here are 5 tips that will ensure that you have a safe experience.
1. Protect your skin with coconut oil- Before you go out to play with colors, apply a generous amount of coconut oil on your body. This will protect your skin and hair from the colors by creating a film that will also prevent allergic reactions.
2. Prevent staining of the nails- If you do not want your nails to get stained with the colors then apply a coat of nail polish before you head out. Once you are done with the festivities then remove the nail polish with any remover. The Holi colors will come off along with the nail paint, leaving your nails perfectly clean.
3. Buy/Make natural colors, in bulk- A great trick to avoid harmful chemicals is to use natural colors. However, you cannot force others to do the same. A good way to encourage everyone to use natural colors is to volunteer to supply these for the event in your neighborhood. This small contribution will ensure a safe Holi for you and your friends.
4. Keep food items uncontaminated- If you are organizing a Holi party then ensure that the food table is away from the area of the festivities. Keep the food items covered and provide clean water and towels near the dining area so that the color does not contaminate the food. This is a simple trick to avoid ingestion of harmful substances.
5. Be prepared for small accidents- Carry along a waterproof pouch with tissues, cotton pads, wet wipes and a small bottle of water. This way, if some color accidentally enters your eyes or ears then you can use these items to get rid of it quickly.
These are my tips and tricks to stay safe while enjoying this lovely festival. I wish you all a great Holi. Hope you have a lot of fun with your dear ones.